Ashhar Farhan VU2ESE have created a next version of the base software after thinking hard about it. You can download it here:
Ashhar invites you all to test it. if you are not familiar with C code or Arduino programming, it is suggested you wait for a few days until we get all the bugs sorted out. This is only for Arduino regulars.
Send any bug reports directly to Ashhar’s email box at email@example.com. In the subject line use the word “#ubitx40”. I will try to answer all emails but I can’t promise responses to all.
Ashhar has measured the mood of the BITX20 list and has made the call to substantially borrow from Ian KD8CEC’s code and back port it to the original ubitx code. The new code has about 10% more lines but it is substantially more robust and useful.
The main features that Ashhar has cherry picked from Ian’s code are:
1. Keyer. You have to choose which keyer type to use, but the keying is much better and robust now. This code is a total copy/paste of Ian’s keyer. The auto-keyer (that sends out preset phrases in CW) is left out. The Iamabic A, Iambic B and the handkey sending works very well.
2. CAT control. Given the popularity of FT8, Ashhar has rewritten the CAT control by following Ian’s code but follows the ubitx coding conventions. It represents a miminal set of controls.
3. Split operation has been included.
4. Rationalised menus: the menu system is now more consistent.
5. Tuning mechanism: The accelerated tuning works, and it doesn’t jump randomly like before, nor does it work at the same speed. For very long band changes, it is recommended to use the menu option to change band.
Among the things left out was support for different types of displays, WSPR, and many other goodies. The EEPROM memory map has been kept consistent with KD8CEC’s plan. You can switch between both code bases easily.
Ashhar has kept usage of English words at a minimum.