Yesterday was when Tom AB7WT completed his first month of using his uBITx on the air and it’s been 100% FT8.
After one month, Tom has had 252 FT8 contacts!
This has been achieved with a modest random length end-fed 59 ft antenna with one end up in a tree. He’s worked 80m, 60m, 40m, 30m, 20m, 17m, & 15 meters.
Almost all contacts have been using 4 watts or less. The results have
been great. It includes 45 of 50 US states confirmed toward Worked All States (WAS). He is still trying to nail down those last 5 states. Tom has worked New Zealand, Australia, Russia AS, Samoa, Cuba, Japan,
So, he’s been very happy with FT8. He’ll be even happier when
the sunspot cycle turns upwards …..:)
Are there other happy op stories out there?
JP Bhatnagar, VU2SPF, has advised the list that the anticipated announcement of a new version of WSTJ-X has been made by Joe Taylor of the WSTJ-X development team. This mentions addressing ubitx transceiver connectivity with WSTJ-X. WSTJ-X has become very popular with amateur operators, as it implements the exciting new FT8 digital mode.
The full announcement follows:
The WSJT Development Group is pleased to announce a third Release Candidate of WSJT-X Version 1.9.0. A second release candidate, v1.9.0-rc2, has been tested in the field over the past three weeks, including a public test of FT8 DXpedition Mode conducted on March 6-7.
A General Availability (GA) release of v1.9.0 will be announced at a suitable time, probably in the near future. After that time you should stop using any -rc# release candidate.
Here’s a short list of features and capabilities added to WSJT-X since Version 1.9.0-rc2:
1. Corrected a number of flaws in Fox behavior, FT8 DXpedition Mode
2. Allow Hounds to use compound callsigns in FT8 DXpedition Mode
3. Write debugging information to FoxQSO.txt
4. Fix the “Blue Decode Button” bug
5. Allow partial processing of incoming UDP Reply messages so that non-CQ/QRZ decodes can be processed. The processing is the same as double-clicking the same decoded message within WSJT-X except that “Enable Tx” will not be enabled.
6. Send DX grid locator to wsjt_status.txt, for use by applications like PstRotatorAZ
7. Correct the display of DXCC status of KG4 calls
8. Updated copy of cty.dat
9. Updates to documentation
10. Updated Hamlib functionality including changes to the Yaesu FT-817 back end that allows the uBITx kit transceiver to be CAT controlled by WSJT-X.
10. Other minor bug fixes
FT8 seems to be the hot new digital mode. But the µBITx does it too! Check out the BITX20 IO Groups thread.